Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Whole New Spin on a Tale of Two Cities

[Jill:] It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

I think I have an idea of what Charles Dickens meant, although I'm taking a radically different direction than he was. He may have written about London and Paris, but I'm writing now about Orlando and Seattle. Who would have thought that the period in my life when I would FINALLY be getting married would simultaneously be one of the most difficult times I would encounter?

One moment I'm drunk on love and grinning ear to ear because I can't stop thinking about how blessed I am to be marrying the man of my dreams. The next moment I'm crying uncontrollably because my job here in Orlando is ending and Dan and I don't know whether we should live in Florida or Washington. I could practically hear The Clash repeatedly singing "Should I stay or should I go?" in my head as I tried to sleep at night.

For months we struggled prayerfully over the cold, hard facts before us. We weighed the pros and cons. We asked God for guidance, but the neon signs never flashed in our eyes. We listened to sermons, read Scriptures, asked friends and family for advice, and even posted an online poll just for kicks. We asked God to open doors or close them. (Note to self: closing doors sometimes crush toes and pinch fingers!)

In the time that passed without flashing, neon signs and thunderous Charleton Heston voices descending from above or any nearby burning bushes, I think we began to look at our circumstances a little differently.


I was visiting Dan in Seattle and we were driving around town listening to a Mark Driscoll sermon series on Ruth. I had wanted to listen to the sermon for one purpose, but God brought a different message to light that afternoon. What we heard Mark say loud and clear that day was that God doesn't ever leave us hanging. If we pray for answers, He gives them to us. Sometimes we're just too busy looking for the answers that we want to recognize the answer that God has provided. And it was that day that we decided to look around at what God had already given us, rather than what we were hoping He would provide.

With newly opened eyes, we began to watch the doors closing on Orlando. Seattle is going to be our home come November.

I'm sad to be placing more then 3,000 miles between me and my parents and sister, to be saying goodbye to my incredible friends, to my church, and to the familiarity of my Publix, my bike trail, and my neighborhood Starbucks. At the same time, I'm excited about getting to know my new family members and Dan's friends, about the adventure of exploring new biking trails and hiking trails, and having mountain views outside my windows! And I know I won't have any trouble discovering many new neighborhood Starbucks locations in the town of Seattle!

Although I do love change, change breeds discomfort. I'm pretty certain that there's always something lost in the process of gaining something great. Just as victory carries a price, so life charges us with grievous goodbyes as we charge toward new horizons and yet-to-be-seen blessings bestowed by God's firm and loving hand.

I look forward most to seeing how God will show Dan and me more of His greatness as we trust Him to provide a new job for me in Seattle, to provide a new place for us to live, and to provide a new home church where we can be fed and serve alongside one another. I know that God works ALL things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose and I cling to that knowledge when I'm unsure of where He's leading me or why.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. But it was all in God's timing.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so happy for you!! It's going to be AMAZING out there for you. You are such a strong example to me of how easy it really is to trust God in all things, Jill. You know, the one surprise lesson that I learned while doing my own globe-trotting the last few years is that the world really is smaller than it can seem. Being separated by distance is so hard at times, but it's nothing when your hearts are so inter-twined, like I know yours is with pretty much everybody here. I, for one, am looking forward to midnight video skype sessions with you, and the blue-moon visit to see the Blankenships. :)

justine said...

I LOVE reading your blog. Very beautifully written, Jill. I am very happy that you will be living in Seattle. Welcome to the family, Jill!
-Justine

Deborah said...

what an amazing post. You're a very gifted writer, and it's so neat to see how you and Dan are growing together in this. We'll continue to pray for you guys as you make the transitions!

McMahan family said...

I came across your blog when my sister-in-law Jill (Dan's friend Lenny's sister) forwarded it to me and loved reading your posts. I will be praying for your upcoming adventures (wedding, big move, adjusting to a new home). From a lifelong Seattle-ite to a newborn Seattle-ite, welcome to our pretty city! :) I hope your next several weeks are filled with happiness and peace from the only One who can really bring true and pure comfort to our hearts. Congratulations on all of your upcoming adventures!