Thursday, December 31, 2009

it's a boy!

We've been looking forward to our 19 1/2 week sonogram for a long time now. Finally, we would find out (as long as the baby cooperated) whether we're expecting a little boy or a little girl.

When Dan and I first talked about having a family, we both expressed a desire to have a son first. We both love the idea of a big brother to look out for future little sisters in the family. But with me coming from a family of two girls and Dan from a family of five boys, we had no idea what God would provide. Either way, we knew we were going to love the stuffing out of this kid!

Now, Dan has insisted from the very beginning that our baby is indeed a boy. I hoped, but had no hint of certainty or gut feeling one way or another. Finally I was up on the table with jelly on my belly and we were seeing OUR BABY for the first time in over 13 weeks! Baby had gone from tiny blob that was indistinguishable on the screen to fully formed child! The technician skillfully worked to measure each bone and body part of our child and it was the most incredible thing in the world to see our baby's moving jaw and each perfectly spaced vertebrae as the tech worked his way down from head to toe. We watched up on the screen as the tech measured the tiny heart beating and each arm and leg. It was during the leg measuring part that Dan excitedly exclaimed, "So I guess it's a boy, huh?" and the tech quickly affirmed what was blatantly obvious on the screen.

It was about then that the tears started flowing down my cheeks. I was completely overwhelmed seeing our baby's beautiful form and watching him move his hands to his face and open and close his mouth. His perfect little nose was so clearly visible and I instantly fell in love with his tiny face. I looked at Dan and saw the pride that was oozing from his very being as he looked up at his son and I was completely moved by God's great blessing in granting us the desires of our heart by giving us a son.

Our son. It feels so good to say he and him now instead of "its" or "the baby." I can't stop thanking God for this little boy that is growing inside of me and for the daddy that I see that Dan is going to be to him.

2010 is going to be an incredible year for The Blankenships.
Judging by this photo, it looks like he's a thumb sucker. Better start saving for braces now!
His profile is definitely the cutest baby profile ever. Just look at that nose!
No question about him being a boy, that's for sure.

No comments: