Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sleepless in Seattle (not the movie)

I think our baby might be nocturnal.

Last night Jackson didn't sleep. He just didn't want to or seem to need to.

We started out the night strong with his typical before-bed burst of energy. Only it never waned. Ever.

The majority of the night was spent with Jackson laying wide-eyed in his pack 'n play next to our bed as I lay there at the very edge of our bed with my arm dangling over him, ready to replace his pacifier each time it fell out of his mouth and he started wailing immediately.

Finally a little after 5:00 A.M. once Dan had left for work and Jackson was STILL wide awake, I was at my wit's end and was losing circulation in my arm from dangling it over the pack 'n play for such a long time. I decided to get dressed and pack Jackson up for a ride in the car since that's pretty much the equivalent of Ambien for babies.

It worked.

I returned home armed with leaded coffee, a sesame bagel, and a baby who would sleep soundly for the next 5 hours.

Once I had napped and the pounding no-sleep headache had left, I picked up our copy of BabyWise and became serious about getting Jackson on a sleep schedule.

I know I haven't been a mom for long but I've learned a few valuable truths:
1) Naps are essential.
2) Naps are a must.
3) Naps are heavenly.
4) I really like naps.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Hahahahaa! You're right - it's ALL about the nap/sleep! As long as everyone's getting it, things are much more doable ;)
-Just discovered your blog and have enjoyed reading some of the posts.

Deborah said...

Oh man!! I feel your pain! Feel free to ask me any questions about Babywise. I've used it with all the kids and it's been great for us.