Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Smell Fall

I've been anticipating the first day of Fall for a few weeks now. As much as I love summer in Washington, there's just something special about the change in the air when Fall comes. I love the vibrant colors of the leaves, the crispness of the air, the scents of pumpkin pie and spices, the corn mazes, hayrides, and the bouquets of newly sharpened pencils. Okay, so maybe I've just watched You've Got Mail too many times because I couldn't care less about pencils but all the other things I said are true.

In true Fall tradition, I invited my girlfriends and their little ones to join me for what I affectionately like to call "Pumpkin Day." In honor of the first day of Fall, I dressed Jackson in his little pumpkin outfit from Grandma Tyckoson. We met up with the rest of the crew and headed to Starbucks for our first Pumpkin Spice Lattes of the season. It was so worth the wait! And mine was free, thanks to my Starbucks rewards card. (A healthy coffee addiction does have some perks at least.)Next stop was Swans Trail Farm in nearby, rural Snohomish. The idea was to pick out a pumpkin from their pumpkin patch but we were a little too early. The farm doesn't open officially to the public until next week for hayrides, corn maze fun, and seasonal plenty. Their pumpkins are still a little green this week and have yet to be cut from their vines. Whoops.
Thankfully, the farm crew had pity on us and let us hang out for awhile. It was the perfect day to hang out on the farm. Blue skies, warm sunshine, and a cool breeze were God's gift to us all. The kids had a blast playing in the puddles, throwing pebbles (well until we saw the "please leave rocks in place" sign...oops!), and running in the muddy field.Next stop for Jackson and me was the grocery store for a pumpkin since we'd had no luck at the farm. Jackson of course got to pick out a tiny pumpkin of his own. He seems pretty fond of it.
That evening we enjoyed yummy pumpkin spice cupcakes at our women's Bible study, thanks to Martha Stewart's magical recipe. They were "a good thing."
Yep, I smell Fall!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I love his little pumpkin toy!