Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day

Technically, last year was my first Mother's Day but Jackson was still cozy in my belly so this year was extra special as his mommy because this time around I could hold him in my arms and then put him down if he kicked me in the ribs.

My day started with breakfast in bed. Not just for me, but for Jackson too. Dan brought in my Starbucks, breakfast, & card from Jackson on a tray along with a beautiful vase of flowers he had picked up from Pike Place market. Then he disappeared and came back a minute later with Jackson's bowl of oatmeal, his Bumbo seat, and his bib. Breakfast in bed for the whole family. It was great.When I finally got out of bed and came out to the kitchen, I was greeted by a banner that my dad had made special for the occasion. Dan accidentally put some of the letters on wrong (like the p's in Happy and the h in Mother's) so I fixed it for him later.
I'll admit that I picked out Jackson's outfit for the day. It was the same outfit I put him in on my birthday because let's face it - these are the only 2 days that are supposed to be about me so I figured I'd take advantage of that fact.After church, we drove down to Tacoma to honor Dan's mom since we were too tired to make the drive to Orlando to honor my mom in person. I helped Jackson make something special for both Grandmas and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Uncle Gene & Aunt Linda are visiting from Wisconsin so they helped us honor Mom Blankenship by cooking up a delicious meal for the whole family. We finished up the day with some vanilla ice cream & slow cooker chocolate mess I had put in the crockpot before church. The recipe came from our friend Jessie's awesome food blog and anything from that blog is a sure hit. The whole family enjoyed chocolate coma.

It was a surreal day, realizing that this lively little boy is my son and that God has entrusted Dan and me with his little life...feeling unbelievably blessed by these two guys in my life who I absolutely adore and couldn't love more...finding it hard to comprehend that I actually live 3,300 miles away from my own mom and missing her on this special day...holding Jackson in my arms during church and watching him sleep during the sermon...so many moments stand out from the day. From start to finish, it was a really great day and I can't thank Jesus enough for making my dream come true of being a wife and a mommy.On a side note: Mother's Day was also the 2 1/2 year mark of our marriage. What an incredible 30 months it has been. We are forever praising God for the way He blesses our journey together as husband and wife.

No comments: