Saturday, December 1, 2012

ho ho ho

Today we began a new family tradition. Hmm...I should probably let Dan know that, huh?

The last two Christmases I wanted to take Jackson to visit Santa but I didn't want to wait in a long line at the mall, spend a huge wad of cash on the pro photos, and then find out that not only did Santa scare the june bugs out of Jackson but that the pro photos sucked royally and were a total waste of money. That being the case, I've been on the hunt for a place with a good looking Santa Clause that would allow me to take my own photos. And this year...ding! ding! ding! we had a winner!

I spotted a jolly St. Nick in the Facebook photos of some friends who'd gone to pick out their Christmas tree at a U-cut tree lot about an hour away and I immediately knew that I had to take Jackson there. So today we did just that.

We bundled Jackson up in his new, red Christmas sweater and drove to Christmas Creek Tree Farm in North Bend. On the way there, Dan explained to Jackson that when you visit Santa you tell him what you want for Christmas. Jackson said he was going to ask Santa for a candy cane and a set of golf clubs. Dan was proud, of course.

The place turned out to be a gold mine of pure Christmas fun! Free hay rides, yummy and ENORMOUS cookies for just $2, hot coffee & cocoa aplenty, a blazing fire pit to warm your hands at, and the best part -- a DIY Santa pics venue with seriously the best Santa Clause ever. I mean, this guy was good. He looked the part, sounded the part, and was great with each of the kids.

Jackson enjoyed the whole experience as much as I did. He munched on his GIANT sprinkle-covered sugar cookie while we waited in the long Santa line. 
We wiped away the last of the crumbs just in time for Jackson to climb into Santa's lap and chat with him. They enjoyed a tiny bit of small talk before Santa asked Jackson what he wanted for Christmas. Jackson's eyes had already fixated on the giant bucket of red and white candy canes located on the table next to Santa's chair. His immediate response was to point and say "I want one of those!"

Santa complied and handed Jackson a candy cane.
With the candy in hand, Jackson said "I think I want to go see my Mom now." And just like that, it was over.

We enjoyed a few more minutes playing around the tree lot and taking a few photos as Jackson "hid" among the trees.



Finally back in the car and on our way home, Jackson assessed the Santa situation with regret. "He didn't say 'Ho, ho, ho!' and I didn't ask him for my golf clubs and he didn't give me any."

No comments: