Saturday, January 7, 2012

kids say the darndest things - vol. 1

I vowed as a pregnant woman to write down the funny things my kid says. I bought a Moleskine journal and it's been sitting on my bedside table for more than 19 months now. Not a word or phrase has been written down yet.

Guilt-stricken am I.

In effort to rid myself of some of the afore-mentioned guilt, I am starting a blog collection of conversations and phrases that Jackson uses to keep us chuckling. My hope is that this blog post will inspire me to crack open that journal that's collecting an unsightly layer of dust on its perch next to my bed and put actual pen to literal paper.

For now, the virtual form of ink & papyrus will have to suffice...


Today -- just about five minutes ago to be exact -- this conversation transpired:

Jackson (running down the hall towards me, shouting): "Thank you, Mommy! Thank you, Mommy!"
Me: "Are you telling me 'Thank you' Jackson?"
Jackson: "Polite."
Me (laughing): "Yes, you're very polite."
Jackson: "Cute."
Me: "And yes, you're cute. Anything else?"
Jackson: "Genius."
Me: "Yes, you're a genius." And knowing what was coming next, I also added "And you're perfect too."
Jackson: "Perfect."
That was his parting remark before he ran back down the hall into the living room to repeat this same conversation with Dan.

Yes, you might say that our son likes to fish for compliments. When Dan asked him if he's humble, Jackson quickly responded was a candid "No." At least he's honest, right?


Here are a few other phrases you might hear Jackson say at any given point during a typical day here in our corner of the world:

"Do do do do...Go pack go!" (Daddy/Green Bay Packers inspired)

"Glory to God!" (inspired by the story of Jesus' birth in the Bible and Aunt Julie's dramatization)

"Touchdown! Dude!" (for some reason he's linked the two unrelated words - the latter being a term he learned from Finding Nemo's Crush the Turtle during our visit to Epcot in October)

"How rude!" (Grandma Jean inspired)

"Ruh roh, Shaggy!" (Scooby-Doo inspired of course. Ok, actually it was Daddy again. He's not yet seen the cartoon.)

"Oopah!" (inspired by...apparently Jackson caught a late-night showing of My Big Fat Greek Wedding while we were sleeping because I don't have a clue where else he'd be learning Greek exclamations.)

No comments: